Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swimming the English Channel

Yesterday in my Christian Leadership class, the professor told us a story that I loved:

56 people have successfully swam the English Channel, though THOUSANDS of people have tried it. If you try to swim the channel and "register" your swim (which is the only way to get credit if you make it), then you are supplied with a small boat just in case you get tired, can't go on anymore, and give up.

The reason it's so hard to swim the English Channel is because the water is extremely cold and it's not the cleanest, but more than that- there is a point where the current is very strong, where you might have to just swim against the current for two or three hours just to not be thrown backwards.

Knowing this...

Imagine that everyone on Earth were in the ocean. That means that Olympic swimmers AND people who can barely even dog-paddle in the shallow end of a swimming pool are both there. The goal is to swim from California to Hawaii. Because there's so many people in the ocean, there are no small boats to pick people up for when they can't go on any longer. It's all on you-every man for himself.

To reach Hawaii, you would have to swim 2506 miles. No break, no stopping, no food or drink stops to revive yourself on the way. Now, Michael Phelps might last two or three more hours than the average person, but eventually he won't be able to swim anymore either. All these people need a Rescuer.

Now, can you imagine if a man on a boat came over and told you that he is here to save you, to give you rest from your long journey, to help carry you over to the other side...can you just imagine if you told him,

"No, thanks. I got this. I can do it on my own."

It's absolutely ridiculous! But how often do we do this to our Savior?



He is waiting for you. If He feels far away, try taking a step towards Him.

"He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles."
-C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Even more so, how many times does the Lord ask you to take a step out of the boat onto the water with Him, and you tell Him right back, "No, Lord, I'm comfortable where I am, I don't need to go walk on water or do anything else because I'm scared about what You have for me next. Don't take me away from my security blanket, my comfort zone."

Get out of the boat. Reach for Him. He's waiting and can't wait for you to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment