Monday, March 28, 2011

Busy

"Our Heavenly Father never gives us too much to do.

Men will.

We assign ourselves an overload, but never the Lord. He knows what He wants from each of us, and there is plenty of time in His day for things essential to His plan. We do Him a grave injustice when we fall into the habit of compulsive overwork. We sin when we pressure out His wishes for assignments that have not been filtered through divine judgment." -Charles Shedd

Today in Christian Leadership we talked about how we are so bad at adding things to our schedules. My professor does a lot of conferences and seminars, and he said many people go into time management sessions or seminars with the thought that the speaker will help them learn how to juggle sixteen balls in the air, as opposed to the twelve they have going on BEFORE the conference. However, this is not what happens. No one can have "good time management" if they keep adding to their plate. Then he said: "If you really want to be effective, you need to FOCUS." Focus on ONE thing, not sixteen.

A few years back, a friend told me that God has not called us to be so busy FOR Him that we don't have time for Him. He doesn't want us to be exhausted all the time and have no energy for the thing He's called us to do and is trying to CALL us to do.

I am TERRIBLE at this. I want to be everything to everybody. I want to make everybody and their mother happy. I want to get everything done and dapple in a plethora of things because life is short and I have to get everything done in the "perfect" way I am always striving for. But God has not called me to be "busy," though in our society today it seems like being constantly BUSY gives us worth. Instead, He's called me to be effective and excellent in the things that I do. He's called me to do everything in His name and for His glory.



Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because th days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment